Marc Paisin is a well respected, highly experienced mediator with over 36 years of civil litigation experience. Mr. Paisin's current practice is devoted 100% to mediation and arbitration. He is a dedicated, motivated, well-trained and effective mediator whose background and training promotes a full understanding of the facts. His philosophy of dispute resolution starts with ensuring that all parties have a mutual and complete understanding of the other's position, followed by constructive and critical exploration of each party's viewpoint and their underlying needs and values. This leads to increased cooperation and full facilitation of settlement.
Art Law/Copyright Expertise
Mr. Paisin earned an M.F.A. at U.C. Berkeley. His work has been shown throughout the U.S. and in the Renwyck Gallery of the Smithsonian. After completion of his J.D. at Boalt Hall (1971), he co-founded California Lawyers for the Arts (1973) and has been active with CLA from then to the present, by speaking on Art Law and Copyright and acting as a Mediator/Arbitrator with its Arts Arbitration and Mediation Service. His litigation practice specialized in art law and copyright matters for nearly 36 years. He's spoken on art law and copyright throughout the U.S. for over 30 yrs. and taught workshops at universities including U. of Delaware, U. of Washington, U. of Cal., St. Louis U., No. Arizona U., U. of Chicago, etc. He has represented authors, greeting card companies, furniture designers, commercial artists, painters, graphic artists, weavers, sculptors, blacksmiths, photographers, jewelers, metalsmiths, manufacturers, natural science illustrators, medical illustrators, glassblowers, art guilds, galleries, museums, corporations and institutions.
Over 300 total units mediation training:
- The Center for Mediation In Law
- Harry Sloan Fellows of The Center for Mediation in Law
- San Francisco Community Boards
- ADR Association of Northern California
- East Bay Community Mediation also known as S.E.E.D.S.
- California Lawyers for the Arts
Memberships - Qualifications - Appointments
- B.S., Engineering/Psychology, Cal. State Univ. at San Diego, June, 1968
- J.D., Boalt Hall, University of California at Berkeley, June, 1971
- M.F.A., Design, University of California at Berkeley, June, 1973 - Metal/Glass
- Panelist, Arts Arbitration and Mediation Service of California Lawyers for the Arts
- ADR Executive Committee of the Alameda County Bar Association
- Neutral Arbitrator, Office of the Indipendent Administrator (Kaiser)
- State Bar of California (Admitted 1971); Alameda County Bar Association
- Lawyer-Pilot's Bar Association; NTSB Bar Association; AngelFlight
- National Fire Protection Association
- Co-Founder, California Lawyers for the Arts
- Appointed Judge Pro Tem., Alameda County Limited Jurisdiction Courts
- Member, Superior Court arbitration/mediation panels for Alameda, Contra Costa, San Mateo, San Francisco and Marin counties
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Eastern Districts of California
- Member, Alternative Dispute Resolution of Northern California
- Harry Sloan Fellow at The Center for Mediation In Law
- Coach law students at Boalt Hall, U.C. Berkeley, course #244.8, Mediation
Compensation Rates (as of 08/01/2007)
- 36 years at bar in California and Federal Courts
- Represented both plaintiffs and defendants
- In excess of 100 Superior Court civil trials
- Hearings before NTSB, FAA, EEOC, EDD
Administrative Fee - Advance Policy
- Two parties - $350.00 per hour
- Three parties - $400.00 per hour
- $50 per hour for each additional party
- Three hour minimum
No administrative fee. However, after all parties have agreed to mediate or arbitrate and after a hearing or conference date has been scheduled, each party shall submit its $200.00 advance deposit toward hourly fees.
In the event the mediation is cancelled with less than 48 hours prior notice and is NOT rescheduled, a $200.00 fee shall be charged to each party. In the event the advance fee has already been paid, it shall be applied to the cancellation fee. In the event the advance has not been paid, an invoice for the cancellation fee shall be forwarded to each party for payment to be made within ten days.
Facilities - Locations
Main offices located at Oakland, California include conference rooms, separate caucus rooms, telephone, internet connection, and refreshments. Mediations can also be held at your offices or alternatively in neutral locations in San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco or Sacramento.